Sunday, October 15, 2006

Exciting Day

I certainly didn't expect to feel everything shaking this morning at around 7 am and especially the second time aroune 7:15. At first I thought it was just unusual for me to be up that early on a Sunday morning for one thing. It must have been just a little before 7 since I had time to get out of bed, look around to see my wife was gone to do her photography thing in the Haleiwa area and go back to bed. I lay there for just a few minutes when the entire room started shaking which was quite a surprise and fascinating experience. Being 150 miles from the epicenter made the quake much less than the 6.6 reported by the USGS and I was lucky none of my things got knocked off the shelves, etc.

While I was thinking about the first quake that was a completely new and unexpected experience for me, the first aftershock made the room shake 7 minutes later; measured 5.8 on the Reicter scale. That's when I noticed the power had gone off; I had been trying to turn on the computer to see what was going on and nothing would go on. So, I started listening to KSSK, the only station on the air, on the little battery powered radio I had for the rest of the day. Electricity was just restored to the upper Pearl City area a few hours ago.

No comments: